Often times we are asked about the different solutions available from ArcGIS and how much they cost. Here is a summary of the different products and what they can offer your organization...
ArcGIS Desktop is available in three license levels: Basic, Standard, and Advanced (formerly ArcView, ArcEditor, and ArcInfo, respectively). The latest release of the ArcGIS Desktop platform is 10.4.1.
- ArcGIS Basic- Visualize, build maps, edit data, import CAD, perform data conversions, generate maps, query data. Cost is $1,500 for a single use license / $3,500 for concurrent.
- ArcGIS Standard- Allows everything found in the basic version but allows additional capabilities for multi-user platforms and editing enterprise level geodatabases. This level is required to take advantage of many custom editing tools published by esri. Cost is $7,000 for a single use or concurrent license.
- ArcGIS Advanced- The advanced license level adds the ability to perform some heavy lifting geoprocessing & analysis tools such as Near (Analysis). Typically these capabilities are only need by more advanced GIS users. Cost varies depending on your organization.
ArcGIS for Server
The Server level licensing is used to create and deploy enterprise level services that can be used by multiple users within an organization. For example, a local government might have various departments and users accessing multiple GIS services throughout the organization and need to manage through one or more network servers. There are two levels of this product:
- ArcGIS for Server Workgroup*- designed to support smaller project teams and departments. It has many of the same capabilities as the enterprise level but can only be installed on one machine.
- ArcGIS for Server Enterprise*- is designed to run and optionally deploy on multiple machines and support a user-defined multiuser database so that you can manage and deliver GIS services across your organization.
Visit the ArcGIS Server Showcase for examples on how different agencies are currently using this service platform.
*At Version 10.5 ArcGIS for Server is being renamed ArcGIS Enterprise (Basic, Standard & Advanced)
The best way to describe the Online platform is a 'simplified' version of ArcGIS for Server. This is esri's cloud-based solution that allows users to login and easily create, deploy, and share GIS data among users within their organization or anywhere in the world. Users can be categorized in groups and given various permissions based upon their organizations preferred structure. The cost is based upon the number of user accounts for your organization as follows:
- 5 users- $2,500 per year (includes 2,500 credits)
- 50 users- $10,000 per year (includes 10,000 credits)
- 100 users- $17,500 per year (includes 17,500 credits)
- Additional Credits can be purchased for $100/1,000
There are a smorgasbord of extensions and optional solutions for the ArcGIS desktop platform that allow for additional analysis capabilities based upon your area of interest. We all want to get the best value out of our software solutions so be sure to take your time in making the selection that is right for you. Contact Cloudpoint for help with selecting the most appropriate GIS solution for your organization..